Sunday, October 2, 2011

I love your work! I want to send my manuscript to publishing houses and would like you to do the illustration for my book

Thanks for the offer, very sweet of you but when sending your manuscript out to houses you really don't need illustrations at all.

Editors only want to see manuscripts. In fact they don't like writers to send illustrations (unless they are illustrating the book themselves). Editors will do the rest, like find a matching illustrator and take it from there. They are very good at that and have a sense of what works and sells.

I can imagine that sometimes is not easy for a writer to understand this because they see their story as their baby and I am pretty sure they had images behind those words when they wrote them down.

But you have to trust the editors, they know what they are doing.